Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Energy Models

So at work we have started this new game with a loose project name of "Energy." Since our lovely game/instructional designer parted ways, we only have a few key elements really designed. One of these includes the environment, which is all the artists really need to get started on some basic props. The game will take place in a prairie, grassland setting (Oklahoma/Texas). There will be oil equipment, a farmhouse, barn, and the usual Oklahoma-like vegetation.

Having been more unfamiliar with normal maps than Gabe, I've been taking my time to really understand the best way to use them. I've achieved some pretty good results, though it could be better! It's been really fun learning how to make "next gen" art assets. I believe the models that I have completed have been a valiant effort, but with practice, I know that I can make them more realistic.

My biggest complaint is that we are not going for a real style in our game. I know the setting is suppose to be authentic (which is a buzz word that researchers in the academia setting like to throw around too often), but I would like to do something more along the lines of Pixar or Team Fortress 2. The style of these two are unmistakable. It would be awesome for a school to look at one of our educational video games and immediately know who developed it. This is unfortunately of little concern to academia. To them, research and findings play an important role to the success of the game.

I could rant about all the little things that bother me with our process or what our company thinks a game should be, but that will have to be for another post. Regardless of how I feel about developing in an academic setting, I'm glad to be given this opportunity to increase my skill. Here are a few renders of some of the objects I've created. I'll make an update once I have a handful of new objects to show off!

No comments:

Post a Comment